The Church of St. Andrew consists of the church building, rectory, parish hall and thrift and gift shop. The church building is surrounded by a stone-walled historic cemetery which contains the graves of many original families of Staten Island. The church is a historic building made of stone. Inside the church, which was renovated in 1988, the nave is divided into two rows, which run the length of the church. There is a free-standing altar.
Hemsley Hall and Thrift and Gift Shop
Our parish hall, Hemsley Hall, was built in 1957. The main floor contains the Rector’s office and Parish office, a fully-equipped kitchen and a large hall with a stage. The lower level has two bathrooms, one small room and one larger room, which is used mainly for our Christmas Fair. It is also available for use by community groups. This building has modern heating and air conditioning.
We have substantial parking on either side of Hemsley Hall. On the upper lot, we have a thrift and gift shop housed in a trailer. It is open on weekends.
Burch Hall & the Choir Room
Adjacent to the church, and through the choir room, we have an attached stone building, Burch Hall, which was added in 1924. It contains a small kitchen and an open room that is used for coffee hour and small gatherings. A new handicapped bathroom is also on this level. The lower level has two rooms, and is used for Sunday School where we have a Godly Play room.
A farmhouse style rectory is directly behind the church. It was built in 1867 and moved to its present location in 1950. The house consists of a living room, dining room, office, a modern kitchen, three bedrooms and two bathrooms. A three-car garage allows parking for two cars and storage supplies.
This cemetery is one of the oldest in the United States and is still available for burials, but only for parishioners. A pet cemetery is located in the rear of the church and is available for burials by the community at large.